Public Safety Announcement: Carbon Monoxide Alarms

The following is a Public Safety announcement intended for all hotel and lodging establishments: 

During the last year two incidents occurred in hotels in the City of Burlingame, California and the Town of Boone, North Carolina.  In both cases hotels guests were seriously injured and/or died due to carbon monoxide poisoning.  The investigations into both incidents are ongoing.  However, in both cases, the investigation centers around the installation of boilers which were not part of the original construction of the building.  It is believed these boilers vented carbon monoxide gas into enclosed spaces (including guest rooms) where the injuries occurred. 

It is extremely important that hotel and lodging establishments obtain permits from their local building departments prior to the installation of any type of equipment which is regulated by Federal, State, City, Town, or County regulations.  These were tragic incidents which may have been avoided if proper procedures were followed.  If you are contemplating installing new equipment or would like to review the safety of existing installations, we encourage you to contact your local government agency for assistance.  Installing Carbon Monoxide Detectors may save the lives of your guests. 

Carbon Monoxide Alarms –  California Senate Bill 1394

Currently, all existing single-family homes and sleeping units or dwelling units that contain a fuel-burning appliance (usually a fireplace) and or have an attached garage, must have carbon monoxide alarms approved by the State Fire Marshal in each existing dwelling unit.

For hotels that do not have sleeping units or dwelling units that do not themselves contain a fuel-burning appliance or have an attached garage, the owner must install carbon monoxide alarms by January 1, 2016.

Prior to 2016, however, CH&LA urges all members to consider installing CO alarms in places where the greatest risks exist, such as in boiler rooms, laundries, and similar spaces.